MOVING CHECK LIST
3 MONTHS BEFORE, YOU SHOULD….
- Choose your moving company
- Inventory all your belongings and prioritize what you’d like to take and what is in the pile for that garage sale you need to plan
- Distinguish between items that need to be Packed & shipped with moving company versus those that you should personally transport (including prohibited and recommended items)
10 WEEKS BEFORE, YOU SHOULD….
- Have garage sale and/or dispose of unwanted items
8 WEEKS BEFORE, YOU SHOULD….
- 8 weeks before you move, have you …. Determine which household goods are able to make the move and which items need be purchased.
- Prepare your database/mailing list of those you need to inform of your change of address. Notify them.
- Arrange for all your bills to be mailed directly to your new address including credit cards, banks, retirement funds, investment programs, magazine subscriptions, rental companies, etc.
- Locate and Pack collectively all official documentation including marriage certificates, birth certificates, vaccination records, passports, identifications, etc.
- Determine which household goods are in good working order and which items need be replaced in your new home.
6 WEEKS BEFORE, YOU SHOULD….
- Fill out your Post Office Moving “change of address” form to have all mail forwarded according to your move-out date and move-in date.
- Notify DMW of your change of address.
- If you have pets, make sure their vaccinations are up to date.
4 WEEKS BEFORE, YOU SHOULD….
- Determine your insurance needs. Determine value of your inventoried items and discuss terms with your moving company.
- Decide which clothes you will take with you
- Dismantle any outdoor / indoor furniture that you don’t need
- Return all those overdue library books.
- Cancel local newspaper and other subscriptions
- Make arrangements for connection of services at your new destination including power, gas, cable, internet, etc.
- Find new homes for all your plants, flowers and fish during your move.
SEVEN (7) DAYS BEFORE, YOU SHOULD….
- Clean out your refrigerator and Defrost your freezer
- Pack all your appliances and plan out simple meals for moving day to avoid appliance use.
- Pack your personal luggage to handle all your needs during your moving period.
a. Pack any medication and necessary prescriptions for use at your interim and permanent destination, and be prepared for any emergency.
b. Pack your travelers checks, credit cards, personal identification and currency.
- Clean any household items that can potentially dirty your personal belongings in transit (i.e. bicycles, tires, tools, gardening equipment, outdoor yard pails, etc.) and empty gasoline tanks of any tools including your lawn mower.
- Arrange for someone to baby-sit your children and/or to look after your pets on moving day.
- Enjoy a calm, cool and collected day of fun as you watch your seamless move happen before your eyes as it is professionally handled by Lift It Moving and Storage. So sit back, relax and enjoy the move!